Cooking with kids: rocky road recipe
With the spring holidays on the horizon, there’s going to be plenty of opportunities to get kids in the kitchen. Rocky road is the perfect recipe to make at home together as a family – and not only is it quick to make, but it also uses up cupboard staples including golden syrup and digestive biscuits. You can even adapt the mixture to include your favourite ingredients such as nuts, fruit or even stem ginger for a grown-up twist (because some of us are big kids at heart). With no chopping or baking required, it’s an easy recipe that’s sure to become a family favourite. The trickiest part will be deciding who gets to lick the bowl clean!
Makes eight large pieces
65g golden syrup
125g unsalted butter
300g 66% dark chocolate, broken into pieces
200g brownie/shortbread pieces/digestive biscuits
125g mini marshmallows
125g cranberries/sultanas/glacé cherries
50g pumpkin seeds/sunflower seeds
1. Place the syrup, butter and chocolate in to a plastic bowl and put in the microwave. Cook for 30 seconds and then stir. Keep repeating the process until the ingredients are completely melted.
2. Crumble the brownie, shortbread or digestive biscuits into the bowl of melted chocolate.
3. Stir the crumble mixture into the chocolate along with the marshmallows, cranberries/sultanas and pumpkin seeds/sunflower seeds.
4. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and then pour the mixture evenly onto the tray.
5. Chill in the fridge for two hours, or until set.
6. Cut the rocky road into eight pieces and serve.